Monday, November 21, 2016

LOVE from The Very Hungry Caterpillar


Carle, E. (2015). Love from The Very Hungry Caterpillar. New York: Grosset and Dunlap.
     

You are so sweet. The cherry on my cake. The apple of my eye...
You make the sun shine brighter, the stars sparkle, the birds sing...
That's why I love you!

A book illustrating sweet nothings to the ones we love shows the reader the many ways in which love and appreciation can be shown. Often times the way we tell the people we care about exactly how much they brighten up our days is more meaningful when we add a little bit of creativity. Love is love regardless, but adding a little extra touch to expressing it makes a whole lot of difference and can make us feel more special. 

A goal that I have as a parent is to teach them to love openly and freely, with no inhibitions, paying no heed to taboos, differences, or time. Every day my youngest son he gives me a different reason for loving me and even when his reason is "because you're my mommy, remember?" or "because I do" it still makes my heart happy because he's expressing it. His excuse to hug me by telling me, "Mommy needs a hug and a kiss," as he walks towards me with open arms to hug me and kiss me is his little way of telling me he loves me. These are the moments that I live for. When I shared this book with my boys, they both loved it. I really don't know why, but something tells me that because they both realized the importance of expressing love and how there are many ways in which it can be expressed without necessarily using the words. 




No comments:

Post a Comment