Monday, November 21, 2016

How to Babysit a Grandma





Reagan, J., & Wildish, L. (2014). How to Babysit a Grandma. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.


When in need of a babysitter, parents run to their own parents for help. And of course, grandparents are indeed the best babysitters in the world. Who would dare to say otherwise? But what happens when the roles are “reversed” and the grandchild is the one who babysits the grandma? This is a child’s account of her visits to her grandma’s house in which grandma does not babysit. So who babysits who? Parents, if you feel guilty about leaving your kids with grandma, guilt no more, grandma is actually the one who is being babysat. 

I was born into a world with no grandmas. Both my grandmas passed away when my parents were children. Both my grandfather's lived but both died shortly after I turned one. I listen to the stories my siblings have to tell about their interactions with them and I feel so jealous of them for having the memories of them when I was too young to remember. My children, however, have been blessed to have both grandparent on both sides. My children are attached to my mom and dad more than my husband's parents and they get to "babysit" my parents.

This book brought tears to my eyes at the thought of the responsibility that my oldest son feels when he is being "babysat" by my mom and dad since my dad has cancer and he feels it is his obligation to help him do the work around the yard and with the feeding of his goats. My littlle one is too young to help with that so he takes it upon himself to "help" his "wuita" around the house. My mom makes bracelets and makes cascarones (Easter eggs) to sell. She works on both year round. So my little one sits and helps my mom color the Easter eggs and hold the string up for her to put the beads in. I have always marvelled at how much they enjoy doing those things for them and this made me realize that perhaps they think that they're babysitting my mom and dad.

This was indeed a very pleasant book to read. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment